Wednesday, June 6, 2012

How Not To Paint Furniture

I do not possess the talent required to paint;
patience and attention to detail, 
but..... I did it anyway.
 Faith Farm Thrift Store buffet/server $39.00
It seemed like a good idea at the time. 
 I started out with high hopes and a Google
search formula for homemade
 Chalk Paint
1 C flat latex paint
2 T non-sanded grout
(note: an improved formula HERE.)
I taped off the newly sanded and stained top
and got started. The small sponge roller 
didn't work well for me. Too many lumps, 
so I just used my small brush.
 This is the point where I realized that 
I do not like painting furniture
 But I soldiered on and got the first coat done.
It looked terrible, but I still had hope 
and I needed a brownie break.
The saga continues......


see the finished project in my next post
or click HERE
Links: Miss Mustard Seed

10 comments:

  1. My Hubby calls this "MID STREAMING" and he gets very upset if a project IS NOT DONE and someone says they don't like it! "NOT FINISHED YET"!
    It is a beautiful piece and you should be proud of your purchase.
    I'm anxious to see the finished product. DO YOU have a PLAN???
    Have a fun week,
    Big Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I don't find painting furniture a great job either. Can't wait to see it all done. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's okay....it'll take more than one coat. Just hang in there and see it through. It'll look wonderful. When painting a dresser, I like a foam roller (about 5 or so inches wide?) for the dresser fronts and sides....it keeps the paint smooth and makes the paint job go quickly. You can do it! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it will turn out great!!! I want a brownie:):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck. I'll be eager to see the finished project. Thanks for the sneak peak. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the tutorial you used told you to mix the grout with a small amount of water till smooth First, then mix with your paint. 1/4 cut of grout to 3/4 cup of paint. mixing too much at one time will get lumpy on ya..

    I know it'll be beautiful when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Furniture painting isn't my favorite thing to do. But I LOVE painted furniture so I get hubby to do it. Please pass the brownies........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hand inthtere...it is a great piece and I bet it will turn out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we have a tendency to tend to own a large choice of fine quality furniture for out door, which will very appropriate in step with your house except that we additionally help to seek out the correct outside furniture for any purpose.
    outdoor furniture

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw take it outside and blow it up with spray paint. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete