Sunday, June 9, 2013

Small Patio Garden

You don't need a large yard to create a
beautiful garden oasis. 
On my last trip to Texas I enjoyed visiting
with Sharon and John on their pretty patio.
It's along the side of their house and
now a favorite space to enjoy their
 morning coffee or evening glass of wine.
They've added a trellis,
a fountain, lots of flower-filled pots,
 and hanging baskets.
This Hibiscus tree has a braided trunk.
The base of the pot is filled with
colorful plants for contrast texture and colors.
The Crossvine trellis in full bloom. 
Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) is a plant
native to Texas from Texas A&M.
Here's an excellent article.
Large stone steps lead to the patio
 from both ends. A wrought iron gate
leads to the front yard. A wood fence
adds privacy from the alley that's found in
 most Texas neighborhoods. It's the
 access to their rear entry garages.
 There is also a
  10'wide by 6'deep roof covered area that
leads into the house. It has a Weber gas grill,
 a wrought iron étagère that holds 
containers of plant food, and a
few gardening accessories, etc.
Overflowing purslane/portulac baskets.
Purslane, known botanically as Portulac
Oleracea, is a self-seeding, multi-colored,
flowering annual that's perfect as a ground
 cover or spilling over in containers.
Spring azaleas and hanging baskets filled
with impatiens add pops of bright color.
The baskets are easy to change for
a new look or the seasons.
 Their Labradoodle, Sydney, enjoying a fun
romp in a rare Dallas snowfall.

How did it look before?
Here are some 'Before' photos.

They transformed this formerly bare side yard
 into a lush green haven. This area only
  measures 10-1/2 feet wide.

 It's a dramatic transformation
from a bare space
to 
their little piece of heaven!

Cheers!

18 comments:

  1. I loved that you included both BEFORE and after photos! I love the crossvine. It will grown here in Missouri, but I didn't know the name of it. It has been almost two years since I last visited, I have been working on my doctorage and now I am done! I also changed the name of my blog from Lakewood Manor to Our Good Life. We moved from our Lakewood house in the middle of my dissertation (What??) and I thought the title didn't fit anymore.

    Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply wonderful and lush. Getting to see the before really lets you appreciate their work. It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful transformation! I love the coziness of this intimate area. Thanks for sharing and especially for showing the before pictures, too. They really convey the possibilities of a space like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness , I had to keep scrolling back and forth between the before and after--the transformation is amazing.-I'd love to have a DIY post on how they started . Georgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fabulous transformation. I am totally impressed. I wish my backyard looked that good. Great space. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly an amazing job! I love seeing people do things like this! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's amazing what they were able to do with such a narrow space! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what an amazing job they did with that small area!! Love the before and after shots. Visiting from A Stroll Thru Life, my post is about my friends small garden area too!! Have a nice day, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great transformation!! So pretty! Love the stepping stones and the hanging baskets. Visiting from Inspire Me Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Dallas TX and you often see the before photo. The owners did an incredible job and made an often unusable space very much usable and enjoyable! I just found your blog through A Stroll Thru Life - Inspire Me Tuesday and I am your newest follower. I would love for you to stop by my blog at http://homeandlifestyledesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Beautiful. Simply, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your patio looks amazing! What a gorgeous place to sit and relax. I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rita! I would love to have you link up to Fishtail Cottage's garden party later this evening???? beautiful makeover...xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's drop-dead gorgeous, but it sure the heck isn't small! Even what you described as the covered 10 x 6 foot wide area (60 square feet!) isn't small. The width of this space at 10 and 1/2 feet is larger than the smallest bedroom in my modest house. Guess it's all a matter of perspective. Did they do the work themselves? What was the budget? How long did it take? Did they buy second-hand and refinish and work up sweat putting in the "stepping stones and doing all the plantings?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my GOSH. That is quite a transformation. What a lovey place they have created. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! It's a little jewel and so well planted. Thanks for sharing. Great inspiration ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing! This article is really helpful and informative. You can try water blaster for quick and deep cleaning.
    Electric Water Blaster

    ReplyDelete